No matter who you are, owning a dog is an equal employment opportunity. Dogs are blind to color, ignore religious and sexual preferences and don’t care about age, intelligence or socio-economic levels. Let a dog into your life and it will change your life forever.
Kennel clubs recognize more than 400 different dog breeds and organize types of dogs by breeds and categories such as hunters and working dogs. Most people, however, just know three types of dogs: large dogs, medium dogs and small dogs.
Examples of large dogs consist of German shepherds, Australian shepherd, golden retrievers and rottweilers. These intelligent dogs are often trained as work dogs. They are outside dogs and require room to exercise.
Small dogs include the “toy” dog breeds, aka “lap dogs”. Some breeds in this category are beagles, terriers, Bichon Frise, Pomeranians and Chihuahuas. These dogs stay mostly indoors and like a lot of attention.
Before you make the big change in your life-that is, get a dog-be sure to consider your life style and the dog’s needs. Without thought and planning, those life changes may not be for the better! That’s why you should know five reasons why a dog will change your life forever.
1. A dog forces you to go outside yourself. Like a young child, your dog will depend entirely on you to meet all his needs. To do this you must include him in your thoughts and plans and take responsibility for him. Once you do this, you can never go back to complete self-absorption.
2. Dog ownership creates a lot of changes in your schedules and priorities. You want to sleep in, but your dog wants/needs to go outside. Guess who wins? Owning a dog will add to your budget and might affect relationships.
3. Since dogs need exercise, that means you get it also. Dog owners often lose weight and stay fitter.
4. Dogs create changes in their owner’s personality. They reduce stress and anxiety. They lift depression, increase self-confidence and self-esteem. Those are life-long changes.
5. You will experience unconditional love and loyalty. No human can ever match what dogs give in this category. It’s guaranteed, once you have experienced this kind of love, you will never be the same.
Still want a dog? Go for it. Before you spend big bucks on pedigrees, however, check your local animal rescue shelter. You’ll be glad you did.
Special thanks to my daughter, Mahaylah, for these lovely photos of our dogs. To read more about Mahaylah’s photography skills see our about us section