Have you ever made homemade farmers cheese? It is one of the easiest things to make from scratch and takes around 15 minutes to get cheese and another 12 hours of sitting time for the cheese to properly drain before its ready to eat.
This freshly made cheese is made from Zaycon Foods milk. I chose Zaycon milk because it is grass fed and hormone/chemical free. Believe me I have tried milk from the store and the taste is not the same. If you don’t want to purchase milk from Zaycon you can use any grass fed milk and you will get similar results. If you would like to read about Zaycon milk and why I think it’s great you can see my review here.
- 1 Gallon fresh cows milk – Zaycon brand if possible 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 table spoons dried basil
- 1 tsp fresh Rosemary
- stock pot
- Colander for draining cheese
- cheese cloth
- Heat milk in a stock pot until bubbles start to form. You want to get it to just before boiling point, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice and wait. White curds will appear and separate from the whey (liquid) part of the milk. Turn off heat and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Set a cheese cloth in colander and pour mixture into the colander, keeping the whey liquid for later use if you wish. Whey is great to put in baked good for extra protein.
- Let cheese sit over night but cover it to keep the top from crusting over.
- Add herbs and salt, mix into cheese and then form cheese into a ball or any shape you prefer.
- Store in the fridge in air tight container or you can freeze this cheese!